Every church handles Pledges differently than the next. As such, words like "campaign" and "pledge" can mean different things for different organizations. Below, we laid out some clear definitions of Campaigns and Pledges in Seraphim. We understand that this might not be exactly how you understand these things to be, but we need to stay on the same page to make sure that you can use the system the way it's designed!
|Definition: Campaigns in their simplest form, are dollar-based goals. Campaigns are like a financial thermometer for the church community as a whole.
||Definition: Pledges in their simplest form, are dollar-based goals. Pledges are like a financial thermometer for an individual, or a specific organization, not the church community as a whole.
- Campaigns Organize and drive pledges – so you can’t “render” pledges away from a Campaign
- Campaigns are associated with a single fund, not a collection of funds.
- Campaigns exist for a specific period of time with a start and an end date. They are not indefinite.
- Unlike pledges, campaigns are not based on the promise or intent to give.
- Because they are not based on intent to give like pledges, campaigns are retired based on actual giving from congregants.
- Pledges are not necessarily required for campaign measurement, but they can be.
- Campaigns can be configured to apply giving Proactively or Retroactively
- Pledges are also associated with a single fund, not a collection of funds.
- They exist for a specific period of time with a start and end date. They are not indefinite.
- Pledges are organized via campaigns. Pledges must always be in a campaign
- Pledges can be configured to apply giving Proactively or Retroactively
- Pledges are retired based on giving from individuals, specific organizations, or families
- While it carries information about frequency of giving, no calculations are made based on frequency
- Pledge amounts can be included on tax statements. (All or selected.)
- People can give to these funds without a pledge, but the goal and the retirement of that goal are not tracked, it will show in the campaign however.