How do I set up my Small Group Communities?
The concept of Small Groups is one that more and more churches are embracing, so we've designed a tool specifically to assist you with Small Group management! This process will enable your congregation to get plugged into your Small Group network through the Group Finder tool in the Church App.
Before we get into the detailed instructions, here's a basic "road map" for how you'll build each Small Group Community and make it functional.
1. Build a static Group for every small group in the Directory
- Videos about building Groups
2. Build Small Group Communities from "Communities" tile.
- Tiles Required: Communities
- Fill in information fields
- "Community Type" and "Community Participant" will need to be built out in Settings/Database Values from Main Community
- Save the Community
- Re-enter the community
- Add yourself as an administrator
- For each SG you're an administrator of, you'll see another Community populate in the Main Seraphim Dropdown. A refresh of the webpage is required to see updates to the Dropdown.
3. Import those Groups into your Small Group Communities for membership.
- Tiles Required: Communities/"Add Member" button
- Mark your Leaders, Key contacts, and Hosts
4. Assign Permissions to users in each Community
- Tiles Required: Permissions
- Use the Main Dropdown to view the Communities you've built.
- One at a time, go into each individual Community from this drop-down and add your Permissions (Directory, Events, Settings are added automatically).
5. Schedule recurring Events in each Small Group Community.
- Since these are brand new Communities, you'll need to build an Event Type (ex. Small Group) from Settings/Database Values, and assign that event type a unique color to populate on the Events Calendar.
- Click Here to learn more about Database Values.
- For training material on creating Events, follow this link.
**The rest of this article will go into more detail on the outline listed above.**
Click into the Communities tile and use the "New Community" button to begin building your first Small Group.
A few items you'll want to consider when setting up a New Community
- Status: SGs (Small Groups) can be public or private
- Open/Closed: You can restrict specific SGs from registration
- Active/Inactive: SGs can switch from Active to Inactive when out of session
- Community Type is a value that's built in by the user. Go to "Settings/Database Values" to customize the Community types. Examples would be: "Life Group", "Bible Study", "Leadership Group".
- When entering the address information, be specific, as this will be the geocode for Google Maps to find the location in the Church App.
- The Dynamics tab is where you'll detail the attributes of this SG for your Small Group Finder. Your congregants will go to the Small Group finder and filter these criteria to find the best SG for them.
When you're finished creating your New Community, you'll see it saved to the main Communities page.
The next step is to assign a membership to your SGs.
In your main Seraphim Community, build out specific groups for each of your Small Groups. For example, if you have 5 Small Groups, build 5 Groups in the Directory. This will enable you to import your Small Group rosters efficiently into the Communities themselves.
From the Communities Tile, click on the title of the SG you want to edit membership for.
Use the "Add Member" button to import individuals or groups from your Directory database. It's recommended that you build groups in your main Directory so that you can import these groups into the SG membership.
Icon dictionary: Icons are located to the left of each SG member
- Star Icon--This is an Administrator icon. It means that individual can communicate with group and
- Home Icon--This icon denotes the host of the SG
- Key Icon--The Key indicates a "key contact".
The next step is to assign the appropriate permissions to yourself as an admin of a new community. For each Small Group, you'll need access to the Directory, Events, and Settings tiles.
NOTE: For each SG you build, you'll see another Community populate in the Main Seraphim dropdown.
- Settings: Since these are brand new communities, you'll need to build Event Types (ex. Small Group) from Settings/Database Values, and assign those event types a unique color to populate on the Events Calendar.
- Events: Now that you have Groups built and Event Types established, create recurring events for when these events will be occurring.
- For each SG you build, you'll see another Community populate in the Main Seraphim dropdown.
Your Small Group Leaders are really only interested in a couple administrative items: Attendance and Communications.This is why we built Small Group functionality into the Church App! Your SG leaders will be able to pull rosters, take attendance, and send emails/texts to their SGs at a moment's notice directly from their mobile device.
They can use the App to sign up for Small Groups. Once they're part of a Small Group, they can view their schedule for that Small Group community as well.